The negative effects from alcohol use and abuse impact our residence hall communities. Housing staff will confront residents who they believe may be violating alcohol policies or experiencing difficulty due to drinking. Alcohol consumption by underage residents is not permitted.
If You Are Under 21 Years Old:
- Student rooms where both residents are under the legal drinking age of 21 must be alcohol free at all times. Guests who are of legal drinking age may not consume alcohol in these rooms.
- As a practical matter of enforcement and in order to avoid disagreements regarding violations of the alcohol policy, empty alcoholic beverage containers are not permitted in your room if you are under the age of 21. Empty containers of alcohol may be considered evidence of prior consumption.
- No person under the age of 21 may store, possess or consume alcoholic beverages in the University Residence Halls, or host a party where alcohol is present.
If You Are 21 or Older:
- Alcoholic beverages may only be consumed by residents who are at least 21 years of age in their room or by their guests who must also be at least 21 years of age.
- Alcoholic beverages may only be consumed if all residents assigned to that room are at least 21. If you are 21 or older, but your roommate is underage, alcohol may not be possessed or consumed in your room and empty alcoholic beverage containers are not permitted in your room.
- No one may provide alcohol to anyone under 21 years of age.
- Any person in possession of alcohol can be expected to be asked for identification.
- Alcoholic beverages or empty alcoholic beverage containers are not allowed in common areas (dens, lounges, stairwells, hallways, lobbies, etc).
- Common sources of alcohol are not permitted and can result in dismissal from University Housing on a first offense. Common sources of alcohol are all containers (kegs, barrels, half-barrels, ponykegs, mixes in large containers, bowls, etc.) where the alcohol is intended to be served to a number of people
- In addition to the above policies, student rooms in the substance-free house must be alcohol free at all times.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be brewed or distilled in residence hall facilities.
- Residents under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, regardless of age, will not be allowed to participate in University Housing sponsored programs.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be consumed by residents and their guests at University Housing sponsored events.
- If your guests are under the influence of alcohol or other drugs, they are not welcome in the University Residence Halls and will be asked to leave.
- Alcoholic beverages may not be consumed on grounds adjacent to the University Residence Halls.
- Students who are transported to the hospital or detox can expect to have their parents/guardians contacted.
- Further information on alcohol-related services is available from University Health Services.
- All residents and guests who are 21 years of age and choose to drink within a resident room are still responsible for their behavior and abiding by the University Housing Expectations and Policies.