Who is my Dean?

As a student at the University of Wisconsin Madison there are numerous resources available to you, including your Dean. Each student has two Deans:

  • The Dean of Students, assists students with personal matters;
    See Dean On-Call information
  • Academic Deans, assist students with academic matters pertaining to his/her respective school or College

Dean of Students; Dean On-Call

Fall and Spring Semesters: Monday-Tuesday,Thursday-Friday: 8:30 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
                                       Wednesday: 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Summer: Monday-Friday 8:30-11:30 a.m. and 1:00-4:00p.m.
Location: 70 Bascom Hall
Phone: 608-263-5700

Throughout the year, an Assistant Dean of Students is available on an on-call basis for walk-in visits, phone calls and e-mails. Below are a few of the reasons to contact the Dean On-Call:

  • Advocacy
  • Conflict Mediation
  • Problem Solving
  • Consulting
  • Assistance for victims
  • Family Emergency
  • Resources
  • Questions
  • Concern for others
  • Complaints

For after-hours crisis response, please call Counseling & Consultation Services at 265-5600.
For all other after-hours emergencies, please call the UW Police Department at 911 from any campus phone.

↑ Back to top

Academic Dean Matters

Some common academic matters include:

  • Late Drops
  • Withdrawls
  • Special Exceptions

If you are experiencing any of these issues please click on the link below for your school or College:

↑ Back to top

Crisis/Emergency Loans

Crisis loans may be sought by students when an unexpected life event or circumstance takes place that causes financial hardship. These loans are generally under $500. They may not be used for paying tuition/fees or any fines. Dollars for this fund are from generous gifts from private donors and from the proceeds of fundraising efforts by student organizations.

*Note: Persons applying for crisis loan funds must be enrolled at the time of application (if applying between semesters, you must have been enrolled during the previous term and be enrolled for the following term). If a student has an outstanding crisis loan, they are not eligible for further loans until the previous loan is paid. In order to obtain a Crisis Loan during the summer, you must be enrolled in summer classes.

Download a copy of the application form, then call 263-5700 (or go to 70 Bascom Hall) to make an appointment to meet with one of the Assistant Deans.

↑ Back to top

Dean's Certifications

Many transfer, graduate, law, medical, and professional schools require the completion of a Deans Certification or disciplinary clearance. To expedite the process, all requests can be made through the Registrar's office, the official record keepers of the University. Please take all clearance, certifications, and other forms to the Office of the Registrar Transcripts and Certifications office, 333 East Campus Mall, Student Services Tower Rm. 10101

Please make sure you have the following:

  • Signed and dated certificate(s)
  • Stamped, self-addressed envelope for each certificate enclosed
  • Contact information in case we need to contact you
  • Please allow 5-7 days to process your request
  • Questions; Contact the Dean On-Call

↑ Back to top

Absences from Class

If a student misses classes due to illness, injury, family emergency, or some other reason, it is the responsibility of the student to notify their instructors of this absence as soon as possible. The Dean of Students Office will not normally send notice of absence to instructional staff unless the student is unable to do so themselves. Accommodations and make-up procedures are at the discretion of the faculty member. Students are welcome to discuss their situations with the Dean On-Call.

Attendance Policies:

↑ Back to top

Sexual Assault / Stalking / Domestic Violence

University Health Services and the Dean of Students Office work in tandem to support victims of Sexual Assault/Stalking/Domestic Violence. Support services for students who are victims of sexual assault, dating violence or stalking, including assistance with academic concerns, safety plans, relocation, and accessing the student discipline process. Students may reach an on-call assistant dean Monday through Friday, 8:30 to 4:00pm.
For more information, go to:

Faculty, staff, teaching assistants, and others who work directly with students at UW-Madison ae required by law to report first-hand knowledge or disclosures of sexual assault. When a victim of sexual assault discloses his or her experience to you, please fill out the following form and send it to the Dean of Student's Office, Tonya Schmidt, 70 Bascom Hall:
Sexual Assault Reporting Form

Wisconsin State Statues Sexual Assault Definition - Degrees of Assault

↑ Back to top