University of Wisconsin–Madison

Meet this sessions ASM Representatives!

The Associated Students of Madison (ASM) is composed of roughly 50 elected or appointed students, 50 student employees, 12 professional staff members, and 200 student appointees on committees that hold legal rights to recommend university policies, budgets, and candidates for UW employment. ASM allocates approximately $51 million in segregated university fees each year and is responsible for management of the Student Activity Center, distribution of the student bus pass, and the day to day operations of StudentPrint. ASM is not a Registered Student Organization. The roles of ASM can be divided into three categories: direct action, governance, and service.

The Associated Students of Madison (ASM) is first and foremost a grassroots organization that works to directly involve and empower all students in making their own lives better by participating in strategic campaigns. Through this work students learn to be effective, engaged citizens who can coordinate and advocate for themselves. This aspect of ASM is most prominent during the recruitment drives, through the work of open committees and campaigns, and via intern projects.

Most of ASM’s victories have come as a result of direct action campaigns, which have won:

• Creation of 24-hour libraries
  • Thousands of registered voters
  • Mandatory pre-exam study days
  • Two student regent seats
  • Caps on tuition increases
  • Student controlled campus space

The Student Council is comprised of 33 elected representatives and is chiefly responsible for exercising the legislative powers and duties as stipulated by Wisconsin State Statute 36.09(5). Currently, ASM is in its 25th session, which lasts from May 2018 – April 2019.

Every student at UW, Madison is eligible to vote for student council representatives from their school or college (i.e. students in the School of Business vote for business representatives while students in the School of Letters & Science vote for L&S representatives).

Elections for all seats are held in the spring of each year and ALL students are encouraged to vote.

Meet your 2018-19 Associated Students of Madison

Yogev Ben-Yitschak : Student Council Vice Chair and Business School Rep

• What are your preferred pronouns?: He/Him
  • What is your major?: Marketing, Digital Studies
  • What year in school are you?: 3rd
  • What school/college do you represent?: BUSINESS!!
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council? : I think my biggest goal would be connecting students with ASM this year. As the current outreach director I’ve put a lot of work and effort into connecting students to different parts of ASM or campaigns ASM is working on, and that passion doesn’t just go away! I want all students, no matter their beliefs or identities, to feel welcome at ASM and know there is always a place for them to share their voice!  Aside from that, working against the meal plan, fighting for Medical Amnesty, and advocating for more student input in the business school are all huge goals too.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I think this answer fits very closely with my goals. I saw change that I wanted to see, whether in the Business School and in ASM, specifically our lack of connection with students, and I wanted to do something about it.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Hillel, Undergraduate Business Council, Domestic Abuse Intervention Services, Center for Religion and Global Citizenry, Students for Syria, and Our Wisconsin!
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Can’t quite eat Babcock since it’s not kosher, but if I did it would probably be the Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough!

Jeremy Swanson: Business School Rep

• What are your preferred pronouns?: He/Him/His
  • What is your major?: Finance; Political Science
  • What year in school are you?: Senior
  • What school/college do you represent?: School of Business
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: My main focus is on the segregated fee and fiscal responsibility in general. I hope that in the 25th session we can continue to allocate student fees in a responsible, fair way that maximizes the impact of every dollar. If opt out comes around again, I intend to join my fellow representatives to fight against it from destroying the marketplace of ideas that segregated fees create on campus.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: The business school has unique values on campus that I believe I embody. I ran to stand and advocate for those values and my fellow business badgers by pushing for a common-sense approach to student issues.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Alpha Kappa Psi – Professional Business Fraternity
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Orange Custard Chocolate Chip, of course

Ashley Cofrin: CALS Rep

• What are your preferred pronouns?: She/her/hers
  • What is your major?: Community and Environmental Sociology
  • What year in school are you?: Sophomore
  • What school/college do you represent?: CALS
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Creating a strong bond between students and their representatives to help campus reach its highest potential
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: To both ensure the impact of my own voice while also representing the voices of CALS as a whole
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Hoofers mountaineering club
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Vanilla

Andrew Dobbins: CALS Rep

• What are your preferred pronouns?: He/him/his
  • What is your major?: Agricultural Business
  • What year in school are you?: Graduate Student
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Accurately representing my peers and introducing legislature that betters all students on campus.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I wanted to give back to my college and help make Madison a better school for all students.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: The Nelson Institute
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: That’s a political question right?

Paulina Eguino: School of Education Rep

• What are your preferred pronouns?: She/Her/Hers
  • What is your major?: Art
  • What year in school are you?: Second
  • What school/college do you represent?: School of Education
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Representing the needs of the School of Education, create/sponsor more artist or art related events, specifically work on a Housing policy that censors art practices
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I wanted to be more involved in the school’s affairs. I was in student government in high school and I have a deep interest in social justice.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Art Department, POSSE
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Chocolate

James Menden: College of Engineering Rep

• What is your major?: Computer Engineering and Computer Sciences
  • What year in school are you?: Senior
  • What school/college do you represent?: College of Engineering
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: I want to increase student involvement and general knowledge about ASM on campus. There are a lot of great things that ASM does and I think ASM can only benefit from a higher voter participation and greater student involvement on the open committees.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I was originally hesitant to run for Student Council, however when I saw that there was only 1 candidate for 3 spots, I decided I would run as a write-in. I think this is a great opportunity to learn from other campus leaders but more importantly to learn and hear from peers on campus on issues that they care about and affect them.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: I am a student employee with the DoIT Help Desk and I have also volunteered my time with Badger Volunteers
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Mocha Macchiato

Grant Rupkalvis: College of Engineering Rep

• What is your major?: Materials Science and Engineering
  • What year in school are you?: Junior
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Implement policies and regulations that aid in getting engineering students involved and exploring their major.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I wanted to get involved in a organization that makes changes to the community.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Swim Club and Space Vegetation Research Team
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: chocolate peanut butter

Kelly Watson: College of Engineering Rep

• What is your major?: Chemical engineering
  • What school/college do you represent?: Engineering
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Make ASM more accessible and understood to the student population in order to promote involvement.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I was a write-in, but I asked my friends to vote for me because I noticed that only 1 of the 3 College of Engineering positions had a candidate.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: I volunteer with SCIENCountErs at the boys and girls club.
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Union Utopia

Sarah Engstrom: Graduate Rep

• What is your major?: Food Science
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: I intend to represent the graduate student population and ensure their diverse set of needs are being met.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I wanted to get more involved in campus happenings and become more aware of student resources. I’ve had some unique experiences (gap between degrees, doing PhD on part-time basis, multiple PI’s) that I thought might bring a unique perspective to ASM.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Intramural Rec Sports and mentoring my employer’s (Food Research Institute, FRI) Summer Scholar students since starting my PhD part-time. My schedule has been pretty full as a Research Specialist for FRI (2016-present), and when I restarted grad school (in 2015), as I was working full-time for Oscar Mayer. I played Club Hockey (B team asst. captain and treasurer) and was a Food Science graduate representative during my Master’s.
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Sadly none. Post-30 metabolism blues.

Wayne Goodman: Graduate Rep

• What is your major?: PhD ECE – Plasma Physics
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: I would like to ensure that graduate students are aware that they have a voice as far as larger campus activities and that I can appropriately represent them and their values.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: My fellow students decided for me by writing me in
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: None, at present
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Mint Chocolate Cookie

Kristen McNeill: Graduate Rep

• What is your major?: MA Global Higher Education
  • What year in school are you?: Graduate Student
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: My goals for student council are rooted in the awareness of the multiple and intersecting identities that each student has and to take into account the diverse perspectives and experiences that students encounter while enrolled at UW-Madison. I intend to take this awareness into all aspects of my engagement on student council and will strive to translate this awareness into action in order to make UW-Madison a more inclusive and equitable campus for all students.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: This would be my first experience taking part in a Student Council. Through my current studies of Higher Education I feel encouraged that the greatest way to make an impact at an institution as a student is to get involved.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: One of the reasons why I decided to run for ASM was to become more involved on campus.
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Blue Moon

Ruben Moreno: Graduate Rep

• What is your major?: Cancer Biology
  • What year in school are you?: 3rd
  • What school/college do you represent?: Graduate Students
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Ensuring students are not being mistreated or taken advantage of by the University
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: To ensure that students are not being mistreated or taken advantage of by the University
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Research
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Cookies ‘n Cream

William Wallo: Graduate Rep

• What is your major?: Master’s in International Public Affairs
  • What school/college do you represent?: Graduate School
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Improving shared governance on the UW-Madison campus to ensure that the voices of students, faculty, and university staff are heard.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I decided to run for Student Council to be an advocate for the students of UW-Madison and work to substantively improve the academic experience on campus.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: La Follette School Student Association
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Orange Custard Chocolate Chip

Benjamin Wright: Graduate Rep

• What is your major?: Mathematics
  • What year in school are you?:Graduate Student
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Reduce burden of seg fees on graduate students, inclusivity, greater access to mental health care.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I got an email from ASM about running, and I thought I’d try it out! I have a lot of ideas about positive changes.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Mathematics Department
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: No ice cream, no gelatin, no dairy! No animal torture!

Julia Warheit: Student Council Secretary and SOHE Rep

• What is your major?: Community and Nonprofit Leadership
  • What school/college do you represent?: School of Human Ecology
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: I intend to create discussion about the inability of any student who is not in the business school to minor in a language, and I intend to make this campus more inclusive.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I decided to run for Student Council because I wanted to see positive change on this campus and I thought I could be the one to do it.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: I am also involved in Best Buddies, Humorology, and Club Lacrosse.
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Chocolate chip cookie dough

Matthew Carpenter: Letters & Science Rep

• What is your major?: Economics
  • What year in school are you?: Senior
  • What school/college do you represent?: Letters & Science
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: I want student council do a better job at representing students of all different backgrounds on this campus.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I believe student council is supposed to represent everybody on this campus and that currently it does not do a good job at this.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Intramural Sports

Kaiyang Chen: Letters & Science Rep

• What is your major?: Psychology and Math
  • What year in school are you?: Junior
  • What school/college do you represent?: College of Letter and Science
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: 1. To better lead the Grant Allocation Committee with my experience on it. 2 And improve the mental health service in our school. 3. promote more international students to involve in ASM
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: To be the voice of international students and improving the grant allocation committee
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Running our own mental health consulting program and playing badminton

Adam Fearing: Letters & Science Rep and Nominations Board Chair

• What is your major?: Political Science
  • What year in school are you?: Sophomore
  • What school/college do you represent?: College of Letters and Science
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Oppose the Mandatory Meal Plan; Work to reduce event liability fees for student orgs; Outreach to student orgs and the student population in general.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I was appointed earlier in the year and I really enjoyed serving in the 24th session, and I want to continue what I’ve started into the 25th
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: other political/political science orgs
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: the coffee one

Paul Jackson II: Letters & Science Rep

• What is your major?: Political science
  • What year in school are you?: Senior
  • What school/college do you represent?: Letters and Science
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Bridging a gap between the student population and student athletes. Be a voice for both sides to serve by gaining a strength in numbers to advocate for changes and polices to revolutionize the college experience for all and the future.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: As a student athlete, I find myself willingly to be more involved then my peers. Having an active relationship with the student body to learn new and a diverse range of perspectives to advocate for. I stride to be in a powerful leadership position because I know I can rally and remain accountable for my actions, to represent a body of people in a humble manner.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: SAESO, Student-Athletes Equally Supporting Others, the internal communication specialist.
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Cookies and cream

Sofia Khan: Letters & Science Rep

• What is your major?: Computer science
  • What school/college do you represent?: Letters and Sciences
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: To help make this campus a more inclusive space for students, especially students from historically underrepresented backgrounds and marginalized groups.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: Seeing how far-reaching ASM is and how much of an impact it has on student life here at UW, I thought that one of the best ways I could get involved in student life would be through participating in Student Council.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: WUD DLS
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Mocha macchiato!

Jared Lang: Letters & Science Rep

• What is your major?: Political Science, Global Security
  • What year in school are you?: Junior
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: I want to improve sustainability and increase the number and impact of environmentally friendly programs across campus. I also want to ensure that everyone can benefit from a safe, free, and inclusive environment that can improve students’ experiences and quality of life/study here at UW-Madison
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I want to make a difference for our university and its students. Additionally I am dismayed at the lack of student participation in ASM and want to improve that and show that ASM does work for the students. I also wanted to help other students reach the level of satisfaction and happiness that I’ve reached here at UW-Madison
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: College Democrats of Wisconsin, Russian Students Association, Chabad (Jewish student life), Badgers for Israel, Political Science Students Association, the WIRe
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Strawberry

Jack Madison: Letters & Science Rep

• What is your major?: Political Science and Spanish
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: Easier access and better relations between the student body and student council. I want everyone to feel like we are here for them and we are doing things that do affect them.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I love this university so much and wanted to give back by representing my fellow classmates to implement change here in Madison.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Greek Life, Campus and Visitor Relations, Entrepreneurial Residential Learning Community
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Cookie Dough

Yaseen Najeeb: Letters & Science Rep

• What is your major?: Computer Science
  • What school/college do you represent?: L&S
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: My goal is to serve as a bridge in communication between ASM and other school organizations.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: Having been exposed to many different groups on campus, I have heard a variety of complaints regarding numerous issues with ASM/UW-Madison that could be solved by simply including them in the conversation. I hope to implement this next year.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Muslim Students Association, Alpha Lambda Mu, and Student Justice for Palestine.
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: One scoop of everything

Josh Walcoch: Letters & Science Rep

• What is your major?: Political Science and Economics
  • What school/college do you represent?: Letter & Sciences
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: I intend on working to reduce segregated fees because students benefit from having more of their own money in their own hands and being able to use it how they see fit. I plan on fighting the incompetence that ASM seems to radiate. I will also to stand up for the conservative voice on campus and make sure that conservatives are not forgotten.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: Since I have been on campus, I have gotten the impression that many students feels their voice and opinions are not valued by ASM, I decide it was time for someone to run who would listen to those who feel ASM is out of touch and ignores those students and make sure that they felt that they were being represented by the student elected government.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: I currently sit on the executive board for the University of Wisconsin’s Young Americans for Freedom chapter, serving as Activism Chair. I also am a member of College Republicans and on the weekends, I work as a custodian for University Housing.
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Grasshopper Fudge

Billy Welsh: Letters & Science Rep and Student Council Chair

• What year in school are you?: Senior
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: To write legislation that corresponds with the campaigns of the grassroots committees of ASM, with a focus on advocating for a more sustainable, equitable, and civically engaged campus.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I believe strongly in the power of student shared governance, and Student Council is a place where the opinion of the student body can be expressed effectively on issues that impact us. Since I care deeply about making UW-Madison the best place possible for all students, I decided to run for Student Council.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Badger Volunteers, Alternative Spring Breaks, Economics Student Association

Katie Kalvelage: School of Nursing Rep

• What is your major?: Pre-Nursing
  • What school/college do you represent?: School of Nursing
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: I hope to encourage more student participation in elections. I also plan on getting more resources for Pre-Nursing students to be best prepared for admittance into the nursing program.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: I decided to run for student council because I want to make a positive change on campus.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: I’m involved in the Aspiring Nurses Association, the Daily Cardinal, and other committees through ASM.
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Chocolate! It’s a classic.

Dylan Resch: Professional Student

• What are your preferred pronouns?: He/Him/HIs
  • What is your major?: Law
  • What year in school are you?: 2L
  • What school/college do you represent?: Professional Seat
  • What goals do you have and intend on completing on student council?: I would like to assist other members in completing by-law changes and ensuring that Student Council is as responsive and open to student input as possible.
  • Why did you decide to run for Student Council?: Many professional students are new to campus and are unaware of what ASM does. I’d like to see these students have their voices heard.
  • What other areas of campus are you involved in?: Athletic Department, Student Political Orgs, and some Christian Orgs
  • What is your favorite Babcock ice cream flavor?: Cookies and Cream

To learn even more about ASM, check out the official video here.

*Information about Christopher Bosma, Graduate Rep coming soon