University of Wisconsin–Madison

Argyle Wade Named Interim Dean of Students

Argyle Wade, who’s spent more than 10 years working in areas as part of the Division of Student Life leadership team at UW–Madison, has been named interim dean of students. He will take over responsibilities from Interim Vice Chancellor and Dean of Students Lori Berquam, who has held the position for over the past decade. Wade, who is currently assistant vice provost, associate dean, and chief of staff, will assume the role in mid-August when Berquam starts a fellowship through the American Council on Education (ACE).

“While at UW-Madison, I’ve worked with every part of the Division of Student Life in some fashion,” explains Wade, who has 22 years of experience at four higher education institutions. “In more recent years, my position has evolved to focus on campus level issues. The division has been a leader in integrating the Wisconsin Experience into the fabric of the campus and there is still more to come.”

Wade is excited to take on this new role. He remains committed to campus partnerships and will continue to build on the division’s values to support and educate our students. It’s important to Wade that the division remains committed to working to make the campus a place where all members feel like they belong.

Berquam says, “Argyle is the type of leader you want in your corner. He is very committed to UW-Madison and all the people that study and work here. He is also an incredible person. Spend some time getting to know him.”

Outside of work, Wade lives in the Madison area with his wife Lainie, their two children and a golden doodle. The family is very close and enjoys taking road trips across the country and adventuring off the beaten path. He is a volunteer firefighter and youth soccer coach in his community, and a past champion of his neighborhood fantasy football league. He is fascinated by productivity hacks, plays golf, is a longtime fan of old school hip hop and was a DJ at a college radio station. He isn’t afraid to show off his assortment of quirky socks. Wade earned his doctorate in higher education administration from Saint Louis University in 2009 and also graduated from Truman State University and Emporia State University.

“During my treatment for cancer last year, Argyle stepped in for me in critical areas of student life and for the campus to allow me to focus on my health,” Berquam says. “He is intimately familiar with the duties of the dean of students role and I am confident the Division of Student Life and campus is in capable and caring hands. His leadership, organizational management skills, and attention to relationships will be especially beneficial during this time of transition.”

While he may be taking a more public role now, Wade has already played a leadership role with many campus issues.

“Dean Lori Berquam, Associate Dean Kevin Helmkamp, and myself have been a strong and synchronized team throughout my time at UW-Madison. I’ve learned a lot from them and I think once the campus gets to know me, they’ll find a very familiar passion for providing students with the best educational experiences and support.” Wade says, “Our ‘help first’ attitude with campus partners and students won’t waver. We will continue to be dedicated to students through the efforts of the excellent staff members that make up Division of Student Life.”

Wade will serve as interim dean through the 2018-19 academic year. More information on the search for a permanent dean will be available in spring 2019.