The days are getting warmer (we think!), the snow is melting, and the sun is shining longer each day — spring is coming, Badgers!
Spring break is just about here, and we imagine your minds are set on the upcoming week off. Whatever your plans may be, keep in mind these few reminders and spring break resources to help you and those you’re “breaking” with stay safe, well, and have fun.
- Prepare your home for your absence with some tips from the UW Police Department.
- If you consume alcohol, be mindful of your consumption.
- Stay in the “social zone.” Be physically and mentally present with less than a .06 blood alcohol concentration (BAC).
- Practice moderation. Set a limit for yourself so that you know when to stop.
- Always eat before you drink alcohol and hydrate with water.
- Plan to be with at least one friend. Badgers look out for one another.
- While on or near campus, remember SAFEwalk and their free walking escorts until 1 a.m.
- Create an environment of respect and consent.
- Be an active bystander. If you notice a harmful situation, use the 3 D’s of bystander intervention: distract, delegate, or be direct.
- Alcohol is never an excuse to cause harm. Be respectful — honor boundaries and don’t assume.
- Consent is key. Partners must be in a good state of mind before moving forward with intimacy.
- Mental health support is available for your well-being through UHS and the Dean of Students Office. UHS’s no-cost mental health services include counseling, outreach programming, stress management, and 24/7 crisis services. Learn more about what is offered here.
- Get your heart pumping! Enjoy Rec Well’s buildings and outdoor spaces to play hard, get fit, and live well. Drop in to a group fitness classes for free during spring break or sign up for one-on-one wellness coaching program to help finish the spring semester strong.
- Enjoy the outdoors all year long with equipment rentals, classes, events, and clubs from Outdoor UW.
- Let Wisconsin Union’s Wheelhouse Studios be your outlet for creativity with flexible spaces designed for multiple uses.
- Explore free events and activities around Madison! Stop by the Henry Vilas Zoo; hike to Picnic Point; spend an afternoon at the Chazen Museum of Art; or visit the Madison Museum of Contemporary Art.
However you choose to spend next week, we hope you find some time to relax and recharge!