Student Affairs is on week four of providing events, opportunities, and activities that Badgers can join online. Building community is key to finding your home on campus. We encourage students to engage with others, and find people who connect with at UW-Madison.
Join us this week for virtual events and opportunities:
8: Beyond the Gender Binary – This workshop will allow participants to learn more about gender and how to express it in our daily lives. Attendees will leave with a toolkit that will help make all community spaces more inclusive of gender identities and expressions. (This workshop is geared towards UW-Madison Student Employees). 11 a.m.-12 p.m.
8: Privilege and White Identity – This session will explore the concepts of privilege and whiteness. Students will leave with a working understanding of their own identities and how their whiteness impacts the world around them. 1-2 p.m.
8: An Evening with Laj Waghray – Join this conversation with Milwaukee filmmaker Laj Waghray where she will talk about her film, influences and experiences. Waghray’s films Sleepover and Together, Alone will be available for viewing on YouTube starting on October 6th and up until the time of the discussion. 7-8 p.m.
9: It’s the Little Things: Understanding Micromessages and Intervention Strategies – Explore different types of micromessaging at play in our everyday lives, microaggressions and microaffirmations. Participants will learn about different strategies for intervention and work through a scenario. 10:30-11:30 p.m.
9: From Thoughts to Actions – This workshop gives attendees a chance to debrief from the programming featured throughout the week. Participants will develop individual action items to help answer the question, “What is next?”. 1-3 p.m.
10: An Evening with Amythyst Kiah – Amythyst Kiah is a Grammy-nominated solo artist, songwriter and member of Our Native Daughters. This live concert will be broadcasted via Facebook live. RSVP and watch via this link: https://fb.me/e/cS9laMckc 7– 8 p.m.
12: Voter Registration – Voter registration support outside in tents at Memorial Union and Union South. 11 a.m.– 4 p.m.
13: Latinx Graduate Student Escape Room Game – A fun and challenging virtual escape room. Register here: https://uwmadison.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_VBMqZrKVSz-QnZj9YjeMXQ. 4-5:30 p.m.
14: Distinguished Entrepreneurs Lunch via WebEx – Meet Stephanie Biegel co-founder of Key, a new live pay-per stream platform. 12:15-1:15 p.m.
- 11: (Everyday) “The Initial Step” Cyanotype Exhibition By Kerr Zhao – “Life is circular, and fate is also circular, just like a Mobius band. We come from nowhere and continue to go nowhere. We are somebody and meanwhile, we are also nobody. Similarly, where we start we are where we are going to end. It is like tracing the roots and finding a reason or person, even though it may never exist. Many are the whole process, the circulation, is the ultimate reason for living.” The Initial Step will be on display in the Class of 1925 Gallery until November 20.
- 24: (Thursdays): Trans Health Thursdays – Drop in to chat with experts, staff, and other students! Each week features a guest to advise on a special topic. This space is for trans, nonbinary, gender nonconforming, and gender questioning folks and their friends, partners, and support people.
- 30 (Wednesdays): Ask an Outdoor Pro – Have a question about the best campsite? About a technical skill? Plan your next trip with Outdoor UW Advisors. 2 p.m.
- 30 (Wednesdays): Virtual Intro to Climbing – Get to know UW’s Hoofer Mountaineering Club, learn about top-rope climbing, and gain a few skills to get out climbing and get connected with others in the club.
- (Everday): Online: UW Libraries Graduate Support Series: Library Micro-courses – Seven short nongraded online courses focused on aspects of the research process. Courses are available to all UW-Madison students.
Don’t forget your flu shot! Sign up now for an appointment at Nielsen Tennis Stadium or the Nicholas Recreation Center, Sept. 16 through Oct. 10, 9 a.m.–7 p.m. www.uhs.wisc.edu/medical/flu-shots
The following resources on mental health, self-care, and academic support from University Health Services (UHS) highlight ways to stay connected and healthy during quarantine: Badger Virtual Care Package.