While Chancellor Blank announced a phased return to in-person activities, and Vice Chancellor Lori Reesor provided five key points to remember as we keep our campus safe, UW-Madison continues to provide opportunities and events for Badgers to virtually get involved.
Here’s a list of this week’s activities that you can join online
- 21–27: Virtual Light of the Moon 5K – Rec Well’s 6th annual Light of the Moon 5K is going virtual! You pick the route and time you want to run. Submit your time or a photo of you running, and you’ll be entered to win prizes.
- 24: Ceramic Trinket Bowls – Join the Wisconsin Union and explore the processes of working with clay while building a unique ceramic trinket bowl. This class will focus on hand-building techniques and is a great course for taking with a friend in your bubble!
- 24: An Evening With Marquise Mays – Join a discussion on Zoom with Marquise Mays and learn about his first as well as his most recent short film, the film industry, and what it means to be a Black filmmaker. His short films will all be made available for viewing on YouTube prior to this event.
- 24: Life of a Latinx Drag Queen – As part of Latinx Heritage Month, KDChi invites you to celebrate the work of the beautiful Latinx Drag Queen, Persephone B. Diamond. Experience a captivating drag performance followed by a Q&A discussion where we will be highlighting how Persephone’s drag and show director experience has been affected by race, discrimination, and her immigrant background.
- 25: DIG JAZZ: Tony Barba Blood Moon Quartet – With nods to many different styles, influences, and textures, this regional all-star quartet explores Barba’s progressive original jazz compositions.
- 29: Pre-Packaged Food Box Pick-up – You can request pre-packaged food boxes for pick-up at Union South near the Wisconsin Union Hotel entrance off of Dayton Street. To request a box, complete the form through Open Seat here in advance. Please submit your order by Thursday for a pick-up the following Tuesday.
- 29: Latinx Alumni and Student Networking – The Multicultural Student Center (MSC) and Wisconsin Alumni Association invite Latinx students to an opportunity to: Make connections in your field, get inspired, network with Latinx alumni from around the world! Alumni will speak of their experiences, and students will have the chance to ask questions.
- 29: How to Heal a Nation with Dr. Celine Gounder – Infectious disease specialist, internist, and epidemiologist Celine Gounder, M.D., will give a live, virtual talk on the intersections between health care and social justice as part of the Wisconsin Union Directorate (WUD) Distinguished Lecture Series (DLS) Committee’s event series.
- 30: Latinx in COVID – As part of Latinx Heritage Month, join in for a community conversation about balancing family responsibilities, finances, community building, and access to resources during COVID times. All graduate and undergraduate students are invited to take part of the campus Latinx Heritage Month event series.
- 30: A Taste of Latinx – As part of Latinx Heritage Month, join Sigma Lambda Beta International Fraternity Inc. and Kappa Delta Chi Sorority Inc. to taste candies and snacks from different Latinx cultures and rate them on an Instagram Livestream. This will be an opportunity for our organizations and community members to learn about different cultures in the UW-Madison community.
- Virtual Group Fitness Classes – Try as much as you’d like from Rec Well instructors for FREE through Sept. 30! Choose your challenge any day of the week – there are classes for strength, mind-body, cardio, and high-intensity intervals.
- Wheelhouse Studios at Home – While our studio is temporarily closed, try one of our favorite at-home projects perfect for artists of all skill levels! New projects will be added, so check back in when you’re in the mood to create.
- Rec Well Intramural eSports – From Madden to Mario Kart to trivia, sign-ups are happening now for e-sport intramurals!
- 24: (Thursdays): Trans Health Thursdays – Drop in to chat with experts, staff, and other students! Each week features a guest to advise on a special topic. This space is for trans, nonbinary, gender nonconforming, and gender questioning folks and their friends, partners, and support people.
- 30 (Wednesdays): Ask an Outdoor Pro – Have a question about the best campsite? About a technical skill? Plan your next trip with Outdoor UW Advisors. 2 p.m.
- 30 (Wednesdays): Virtual Intro to Climbing – Get to know UW’s Hoofer Mountaineering Club, learn about top-rope climbing, and gain a few skills to get out climbing and get connected with others in the club.
Don’t forget your flu shot! Sign up now for an appointment at Nielsen Tennis Stadium or the Nicholas Recreation Center, Sept. 16 through Oct. 10, 9 a.m.–7 p.m. www.uhs.wisc.edu/medical/flu-shots
The following resources on mental health, self-care, and academic support from University Health Services (UHS) highlight ways to stay connected and healthy during quarantine: Badger Virtual Care Package.