If the pandemic has taught us anything, it’s how to adapt to new circumstances. With UW-Madison limiting in-person interaction for students, there’s still plenty to do virtually.
Here’s a list of this week’s activities that you can join online:
- 16: Carne Asada Kick Back – Join @uwlatinxcc on Instagram for a fun and interactive talk show experience! We’ll rate local Latinx restaurants, share favorite carne asada foods and moments, invite you to share your experiences, and talk about creating community on campus. Prize drawing! 6 p.m.
- 16: Film Screening: All In: The Fight for Democracy (2020) – While the Marquee is closed, join Wisconsin Union Directorate (WUD) Film online for a film screening that explores voter suppression in the United States. 7 p.m.
- 17: How to Be an Active Badger – Being an Active Badger is about more than being physically active. It’s about taking action to show up for ourselves, our community, and our world. This workshop will provide you with ways to get involved in the UW-Madison community while also taking care of your physical and mental health, particularly ways to safely connect with others during this challenging time. 6 p.m.
- 17 (Thursdays): Practicing English and Cultural Exchange (PEACE) – Join International Student Services (ISS) for intercultural sharing and learning, cultural adjustment support, and community-building through English conversation practice. Conversation will focus on social justice within the U.S. and countries around the word. 6 p.m.
- 17: Film Screening: The Way I See It (2020) – Join WUD Film for an unprecedented look behind the scenes of two of the most iconic presidents in American History, Barack Obama and Ronald Reagan, as seen through the eyes of renowned photographer Pete Souza. 7 p.m
- 18: Student Engagement and Scholarship – Need help navigating or exploring student employment and the Wisconsin Scholarship Hub or want to get connected to UW’s Success Services? Chat with the Office of Student Financial Aid team to get connected and get your questions answered. 2 p.m.
- 19: Boxing Event – As part of Latinx Heritage Month, UW–Madison Boxing Club will host a seminar looking at how the travails of fighters representing the ‘Sweet Science’ have been firmly embedded in the tapestry of Boxing’s storied history. Head Coach Mauricio Vazquez will teach boxing fundamentals. 4 p.m.
- 21: Beading from the Andes – As part of Latinx Heritage Month, join local indigenous Ecuadorian Muxer on the traditional art of beading. Beading packages will be available for pick-up and drop-off. 11 a.m.–4 p.m.
- 21: Addressing Anti-Blackness in the Latinx Community – As part of Latinx Heritage Month, join University Health Services and Inclusion Education to discuss social justice burnout and how to take care of our communities. Prize drawing! 6 p.m.
- 21–27: Virtual Light of the Moon 5K – Rec Well’s 6th annual Light of the Moon 5K is going virtual! Registration is free (or $10 if you register by Sept. 18 for a commemorative t-shirt). You pick the route and time you want to run. Submit your time or a photo of you running, and you’ll be entered to win prizes.
- 23 (Wednesdays): Ask an Outdoor Pro – Have a question about the best campsite? About a technical skill? Plan your next trip with Outdoor UW Advisors. 2 p.m.
- 23 (Wednesdays): Virtual Intro to Climbing – Get to know UW’s Hoofer Mountaineering Club, learn about top-rope climbing, and gain a few skills to get out climbing and get connected with others in the club.
- Virtual Group Fitness Classes – Try as much as you’d like from Rec Well instructors for FREE through Sept. 30! Choose your challenge any day of the week – there are classes for strength, mind-body, cardio, and high-intensity intervals.
- Wheelhouse Studios at Home – While our studio is temporarily closed, try one of our favorite at-home projects perfect for artists of all skill levels! We’ll keep adding new projects, so check back in when you’re in the mood to create.
- Rec Well Intramural eSports – From Madden to Mario Kart to trivia, sign-ups are happening now for e-sport intramurals!
Don’t forget your flu shot! Sign up now for an appointment at Nielsen Tennis Stadium or the Nicholas Recreation Center, Sept. 16 through Oct. 10, 9 a.m.–7 p.m. www.uhs.wisc.edu/medical/flu-shots