McBurney Disability Resource Center

Creating an Inclusive Campus Community

Founded in 1977, the McBurney Disability Resource Center is the office for students with disabilities and classroom accommodations on the UW-Madison campus. Our mission at the McBurney Center is to lead our campus community forward in accessibility for students with disabilities. As part of the student accommodation process, we work collaboratively with students and instructors to provide and support effective student accommodations.

We work with over 5,100 students annually, and we partner with students, instructors, staff, student organizations, program participants, and others throughout the campus and community. We strive to create a more inclusive campus environment for students at all ability levels and allow them to engage, explore, and participate in the Wisconsin Experience.

Donate today to help foster a sense of community and inclusivity for students with disabilities at UW-Madison.

Donate to McBurney Disability Resource Center

In the past academic year, McBurney assisted over 5,100 students with disabilities.

Thanks to donations from people like you, the McBurney Center awarded more than 170 students last year with scholarships to attend UW-Madison.

The McBurney Center worked with a group of students to host an online event celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Americans with Disabilities Act as well as the disability history at UW-Madison.

Reaching More Students Than Ever

At McBurney, we view disability as an important aspect of the diversity of UW-Madison and are committed to creating an accessible and inclusive educational experience for students. We do this by partnering with students, faculty, and staff to design accessible environments and to provide academic accommodations so that students can engage, explore and participate in the Wisconsin Idea.

Donations to the McBurney Center go far to help us support students with disabilities at UW-Madison. You can help make possible:

• AS WE ARE, a support group for students on the Autism Spectrum
  • The Ambassador Program for all incoming students with disabilities provides incoming students the opportunity to meet with other students with disabilities throughout the year to strengthen ties to campus and ease their transition to the university.
  • The funding of a student liaison who works out of the Gender and Sexuality Campus Center, with a focus on students with disabilities and ensuring program accessibility.

Donate to the McBurney Center

Real Students, Real Stories

“Thank you so much for your confidence in my academic career and for your support. With the help of this scholarship, I will have the security of spending more time focusing on my studies rather than the stress of balancing work with school.” – Undergraduate student

The McBurney Center scholarship has given me access to a wealth of opportunities to support and further my education through UW-Madison. My experiences with them have been nothing but good and I greatly appreciate the support they have provided.” – Anonymous

“This scholarship will allow me to continue my education while also handling the needs of my mental illness and help me to rise above the stigmas that affect me.” – Sophomore

“Thank you for your acknowledgement and understanding about the stress of navigating life as a full-time student with a disability.” – Anonymous

“As a student with a disability and being an out of state student who has significant financial need, I appreciate the donors for providing scholarship opportunities. I am humbled and incredibly thankful that I have been selected to receive this scholarship.” –Sophomore

“Thank you very much for this opportunity. It is extremely difficult to cover academic expenses and keep my psychological treatment. Thanks again for your support.” – Third year Ph.D. student

STUDENT AFFAIRS GIVING PAGE

Make a gift to a Student Affairs department or initiative.

MCBURNEY DISABILITY RESOURCE CENTER

Learn more about McBurney Disability Resource Center.