Student Affairs is providing weekly events, opportunities, and activities that Badgers can join online or in person. Building community is key to finding your home on campus. We encourage students to engage with others and find people to connect with at UW–Madison.
Join us this week for the following events and opportunities.
Highlights of the week:
- Black History Month: This year’s Black History Month theme is Music as Medicine: The Evolution of Music in the Black Community. Join the Black History Month planning committee and the Black Cultural Center by participating in the exciting events they have taking place all month.
- Wisconsin Welcome: Wisconsin/Winter Welcome is a series of welcome programs and events designed to introduce new students to campus and the UW-Madison community from Jan. 25 thru Feb. 15.
- Apply for a Bucky Award: The Bucky’s Award Ceremony is an event where students and student organizations have the opportunity to be recognized for their hard work on campus and in the community. All leaders are encouraged to apply! Candidates may submit up to two applications.
10: GUTS Spring Kick-Off – The GUTS Spring Kick-Off Event is a great way to learn about the FREE programs and services the Greater University Tutoring Service (GUTS) offers to students. Coordinators will talk about their programs in a short presentation. There will be a demonstration on registering, time for questions, and a fun game of KAHOOT! On Zoom, 6-7 p.m.
11: Online Speech and Debate Practice – Get online to debate and speak with Wisconsin Speech and Debate. Students from all schools and colleges, departments and programs, majors, class standings, and student statuses are welcome. No experience or affiliation with the L&S Honors Program is necessary. Experience in any speech event or debate format is welcome. 8-9:30 a.m.
12: FAFSA Frenzy – Get help completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) with the Office of Student Financial Aid The FAFSA for the 2021-22 school year will use 2019 tax information. Attendees will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win a Target gift card. Noon-2 p.m.
13: Gardening Without Gravity – Plants don’t need much to thrive: sunlight, water, and some soil, but how do you garden on the International Space Station where even the air has to be shipped from the Earth and a watering can simply doesn’t work? Join the Friends of Allen Centennial Garden to discuss the challenges of growing plants in space and how this environment offers unique insight into both how plants work and how they serve to promote well-being, even when traveling at 17,500 miles per hour and 250 miles straight up. 10-11:30 a.m.
14: Badger Datamatch – Fill out the hilarious, hand-crafted UW-Madison themed survey prior to Feb. 14 to create a profile that The Algorithm can match with your fellow Badgers. Then there’s nothing left to do but twiddle your thumbs and wait until results are released on Feb. 14 – Valentine’s Day! Hosted by UW-Madison Datamatch.
15-26: Health Professionals Expo – The UW-Madison Center for Pre-Health Advising’s 3rd annual Health Professions Expo will include virtual sessions and workshops on exploring health careers, building experiences, professional program admissions, and more. There will also be a virtual hub of web resources to help you on your way to a health profession. Register at prehealth.wisc.edu.
16: Election Day – Go to MyVote.wi.gov to find your polling place, see what is on your ballot, and check your registration. If you are not registered at your current address, you can register at your polling place on Election Day. See vote.wisc.edu for information on registration and voter ID.
- Winter Wonderland: Winter Scavenger Hunt – Participants can complete the scavenger hunt at any time between Jan. 16 and Feb. 14, 2021. Additionally, those who answer all 15 questions will be entered into a drawing for a chance to win Wisconsin Union gift cards ranging in value from $5-25. A drawing will take place on Feb. 15, and winners will be notified via email.
- Badger Talks – Badger Talks is pleased to present a LIVE series of talks on topics that intend to inspire, delight, and pleasantly distract in a time we are all needing positive experiences. Tune in to hear UW–Madison faculty and staff experts on a variety of interesting and engaging topics. Watch the live events here on Facebook. Not able to watch the live talks? Watch previous Badger Talks LIVE events on YouTube.